Wanting to own a pet bird? Budgerigar or as many referred to as Budgie are a great starter bird for you. Adorable, affectionate, friendly, lovable, low maintenance; and generally healthy, are the qualities that make these birds one of the most popular bird pets in the world. I cannot blame you if you are getting curious about petting a bird; instead of the conventional cats and dogs, most people lean into it. Birds can be a wonderful companion, especially to those who are living alone. They are amusing and fascinating to observe, and people who are bird enthusiasts preach about how you can form unique; and sincere connections with them, they can even mimic your voice. Amazing, right?
- Budgerigar birds are one of the smallest species of parrots. They grow just about seven to eight inches, from their beak to their tail.
- Budgerigar birds have zygodactyl toes, which means they have two toes at the front of each of their feet; and two at the back of each of their feet.
- The Budgie have the most adorable colors to ever exist. Budgerigar birds are typically green and yellow, with black stripes and with their feathers having a mix of blue; green and black. But now, there exist sky blue, cobalt, mauve, gray, violet, white; albino, light green, dark green; yellow and lutino of these cute and adorable budgies.
- Budgerigar birds are very accepting of us humans; because they are social creatures and crave connections, be it in the wild or in captivity. They are typically easy to tame; and pet, but there are instances when they are being stubborn as well; this is just typically because of the reason that they are adjusting to you. Patience is a virtue; and just be patient with raising them and do not immediately jump into assumptions that they might hate you; they are just simply adjusting, and they are likely to come along.
- They are usually very gentle, and timid, but they love company and affection. They love gentle petting for their small body once you have established your trust and genuine connection with each other.
- These birds love visitors as well, and are great with connecting with little children. They will not harm or avoid them, unless they feel uneasy around them.
- They are amused with the little things, having toys makes their little days and keeps their minds active.
Health and Well-Being
- They are the best talking birds, amongst their similar species. They can be trained into learning words, phrases and whistles. This trait makes them amusing and a sight to see; they are having fun also when they talk and do their silly mimicking of other people’s voices.
- What is best for their health is a great balanced diet. Contrary to the popular belief that most birds thrive best in seed mixes, budgies, and all other birds strive best; when they are getting fruits and vegetables as well; with cuttlebone as a great source of calcium.
- What is best for their well being is a great cage that is located at the perfect place. Their cage should be wide for them to move freely, rectangular, for them to have corners they can easily hide in; and perches and toys to keep their minds stimulated, Ventilation and lighting is also crucial; because they thrive well in a warm and cozy environment, also, in placing them where people like to gather around, so they can feed the social creature within them.
- They are generally healthy birds, but budgies do get sick; and when they are in that state, here are the things to look out for: Watery droppings, unusual swellings, lack of energy, loss of appetite; sleep destruction and limping, or holding one of their legs up. In times like this, veterinary consultation is the right; and best thing you can do to provide immediate relief and to regulate their health properly.
Budgie love to have free flights around the house, this will keep their body active and lively as well; and it is a great bonding experience between them and the owner. You can also train them. Their breakfast should be a mix of seeds; with fruits, vegetables, and cuttlebone ready and set aside to snack whenever they feel like doing so. Lastly, get their toys ready for them to get their mind stimulated and immersed.
They like to be relaxed in the afternoon, where they will have their own and rest for a few hours. They might bathe and clean themselves. After that, it would be the best opportunity to socialize with them; gently petting and training them to talk to you. They are likely to eat afternoon lunch as well. Make sure they have a sufficient amount.
Continuing the quality time you had in the late afternoon, unwinding with them in the evening will help you build a strong relationship and connection with them. Get their evening meal, connect with them for a few minutes; and get ready for bedtime by placing a blanket on their cage.
Keep in Mind!
Budgerigar or the so-called Budgie should have a chance in your heart! The chance of you and birds getting along is really high, and if you are considering petting one, I encourage you to do so. Do not miss an opportunity, for you to change the life of a bird, and for the bird to change the life of yours. Lastly, adhere to responsible pet ownership, and your journey to petting a budgie will be smooth from then on.